Massachusetts claims Ontario Beach, from 1788 deed.
Busses replace streetcars.
The city acquires Britton Field off Scottsville Road for an airfield.
The site is left unimproved.
US Supreme Court upholds rights of Rochester for Ontario Beach.
Exposition Park renamed Edgerton Park.
Traffic lights are tried in city. Police start to ticket autos.
First commercial radio station WHQ starts to broadcast - WHEC
Eastman Theater opens.
Concrete pavement used.
Gray Metal Company introduces the two day weekend to Rochester labor.
The abandoned Erie Canal and its Aqueduct are rebuilt in a $12,000,000
project. The canal bed is used for a subway system. The canal is then crossed
by steel beams and 17" of concrete is poured to form the road bed for Broad
St. The Aqueduct has the rails laid on the canal bed, and a new level is
added above for Broad St.
Kodak introduces amature movie camera... Cine-Kodak
First trackless trolley line opens on Driving Park Avenue.
Post Express sold to William Randolph Hurst.
University of Rochester files to build Medical School and Hospital.
Concrete bridge over Irondequoit Creek at Empire Blvd.
Broad St., built over new subway formally opens.
for the River Campus.
First Air Mail service.
Police on Main Street are still directing traffic from towers set up
Fanny Farmer's opens Rochester's first confectionery factory.
Geo. Eastman arranges land swap between Oak Hill Country Club and the
University of Rochester. The Country Club had removed a large hill from
the site (actually the western most glacial deposit in the Pinnacle Range).
Oak Hill had been a popular sledding site for many years. The steep hill
provided breathtaking acceleration then hurled you out onto the ice covered
Seven redwood trees are cut down at 590 Mt Hope. They had been killed
by the severe winter of 1917. Seeds had been sent back to Rochester in
a snuffbox by a 'forty-niner' from the area. 4000 had been planted in the
Ellwanger & Berry Nurseries. Most of the seedlings were shipped to
England to be replanted on large country estates. The trees here were the
largest specimens east of the Rockies. They measured 50 to 52 inches in
diameter, and 52 ' tall.
Charging admission for Sunday sports legalized.
Last car run on the Manitou Beach trolley line.
First ramp parking garage opens in the city.
Strong Memorial Hospital opens.
Homeopathic Hospital changes name to Genesee Hospital.
First experimental air mail service, Rochester to Cleveland.
University Club formed. To join you must have attended a college of
Port of Rochester established.
Churchville Park opens.
New York State Railroad discontinues service from city to Glen Haven
Frank T. Ellison gives land for Ellison Park, first county park.
'Talkies' first shown at the Baptist Temple.
Col. Lindbergh and Spirit of St Louis visit the city.
First Rochester-New York City air service
Glen Haven Hotel burns on Election Night.
Red Wing Stadium built with seating for 18,000. Admissions range from
55 cents to $1.65. Used for outdoor boxing, wrestling, football, and opera.
Col. Lindbergh's visit inspires Rochester to plan for mail, freight,
and passenger air service. A hanger, runways, and signaling devices are
built for the newly named 'Rochester Municipal Airport'.
Air Mail route between Cleveland and Albany includes a stop at Rochester.
Rochester Democrat & Chronical purchased by Frank Gannett.
Corinthian Hall closed.
Northwest Beach Park opens. Becomes Hamlin Beach State Park in land
swap with county for Webster Park.
Mendon Ponds area purchased by county as game preserve and forest.
Federal agents fire over 700 shots at a liquoir smuggler off Seabreeze.
First Lilac Week
Population City - 328,132
Population County - 423,881
The Smith Street Bridge is replaced by the steel Bausch St. Bridge.
The Lomb Memorial dedicated. The 48' tall black granite shaft is at the
east end of the bridge.
University of Rochester, River Campus opens to men. Prince St. became
the Women's Campus until 1955, when the River Campus became co-ed.
Second hanger built at the airport. Auto parking lot expanded.
100,000 attend air show held to celebrate the official opening of the
Ontario Beach Park becomes a city park.
Masonic Temple built at Prince St. and Main St. seats 2,600.
Veterans' Memorial Bridge was built at cost of 2.5 million dollars.
Structure is a concrete arch, faced with white granite, and highly praised
for classical beauty. It is the longest bridge in the city at 981', with
a height of 190'. Legal action, and arrests, stop a 'suicide lottery',
with the winner determined by the sex, age, and time of the bridge's first
Teletype installed at airport for weather forecasting.
Police radio station WPDR.
Colonial Western Airlines lands here in it's route between New York
City and Cleveland. Colonial Western would eveolve into American Airlines.
Three squadrons of the Army Air Corps First Pursuit group stop to refuel.
A national record is tied when all eighty-four planes take off in fifteen
Fourteen area employers provide unemployment insurance to their workers.
This is the first organized unemployment insurance plan in the country.
Gannett Newspapers acquires control of WHEC.
July 1, Only tornado in city's history, kills two, scores injured,
hundreds of thousands in damage. The freak storm destroys 100 trees on
Saratoga Avenue, a 300 foot warehouse on Dewey Avenue, and most of Jones
Trackless trolleys replaced by busses.
WHAM dedicates it's new high-powered transmitter.
WPA grants 1.5 million for construction of John Marshall High School.
New Reynolds Arcade built.
Charlotte High School Opens
Amelia Earhart visits Rochester to speak at the Lyceum Theater
Wiley Post flies into Rochester in his famous plane the 'Winnie Mae'
after his solo round the world flight.
April 27, Genesee Beer back on sale after end of Prohibition.
New Post Office opens on Cumberland Street.
Lyceum Theater demolished, last of the city's eight legitimate theaters,
killed by the popularity of movies. Only the Eastman Theater remains.
Jonathan Child house occupied by Fourth Church of Christian Scientists.
To celebrate Rochester's Centennial Year additional improvements are
made at the airport. A new hanger, and Administration Building with waiting
rooms and terminal facilities are built. An additional runway, lighting,
and a two-way radio are added.
Febuary 9, City's coldest recorded temperature: -22
This date is also the only time that Lake Ontario has been know to
have been frozen over completely from New York State to Canada.
New Elmwood Ave. bridge opened.
Kodak introduces Kodachrome color film.
Landing area at the airport is enlarged.
New York State Railroad abandons trolley service and replaces equipment
Rundel Library opens.
Bodies removed from St. Patrick's Cemetery to Mt. Hope Cemetery.
July 9-10, City's hottest recorded temperature: 102
Restoration of the Campbell-Whittlesey House is the first project of
the Landmark Society.
WPA builds Nine Mile Point Park State Park, but the state trades the
land with the county for Northwest Beach Park. Both parks are renamed by
their new owners, becoming, Webster Park and Hamlin Beach State Park.
New York State Railroad reforms yielding Rochester Transit Corporation.
First Xerox copy made: "10-22-38, Astoria"
Warehouse at Oklahoma Beach burns, was former Ice House.
29,323 Monroe County men between the ages of 20 and 45 are drafted
into the military.
Windsor Hotel, a popular dance hall at White City in Summerville is
destroyed by fire, Dec, 11
Cobbs Hill used as POW encampment for POW's. Sept.. 18, 1943 first arrivals. Sixty Italian prisoners working
on area farms, and food processing plants. (10 hour/6 day @
$.80 per day wages) 200 military police housed at Culver Road and Main Street Armories. 12 buildings in the fenced compound. Reservoir heavily guarded, but basketball courts and Lake Riley
were still accessible to the public. When Italy declared war on Germany in Oct., workers were allowed
to work unguarded, out of the camp, and local citizens brought food and
organized weekend dances. June 26, 1944 to Nov. 1, 100 German prisoners replace Italians
in newly strengthened camp. Army fears fiercely patriotic POW's may cause
problems, as has already happened at many other similar camps. Hundreds
of citizens go to park nightly to listen to prisoners sing in barracks.
Assuming the same situation as with Italian POW's, they bring food and
gifts. The Army wants to blockade the area to end all contact, while the
city favors 'No Loitering' signs. Tension mounts between the city,
Army, and police, until fist fights start on the evening of Aug. 14, 1944.
Problems continued when the Army delayed removal of the Germans until November,
and then local farmers started requesting prisoner laborers for the next
year. Feb. 1945 was hit with seven successive storms that paralyzed the
city, forcing the city to ask that POW's be brought from the Hamlin Camp
to the city. Cobbs Hill housed 100 Germans, while 175 more were at Edgerton
Park. An eight week contract was arranged. The city was given the right
to terminate the arrangement with one day's notice. Snow removal by prisoners
was done at unannounced locations, with city police keeping locals away.
A planned addition to the work force was canceled when a Feb. 24th thaw
aided the problem, and by March 10 all of the prisoners had been returned
to Fort Niagara. Positive reaction to methods used in snow removal ends
opposition to use of prisoners as laborers in the area. Only the American
Legion continues its opposition or the POW's in the area. V-E Day, May
8, 1945 ends the need for the prisoners to be in the area. After the war the abandoned barracks were converted to apartments
to house returning servicemen.
Lyceum Building demolished.
Durand Eastman Park Bathhouse closes.
Mt Morris dam built.
Local realtor John Nothnagle introduces his 'Gallery of Homes'. He
shows prospective buyers photographs of the homes for sale.
B & O Railroad builds a trestle at the the foot of Boxart Street
with a device for shaking the coal from rail cars into ships for transfer
to Canada. There is an immediate uproar from the citizens as the device
can easily be heard a half mile away, and the vibrations cracks wall, and
shake objects from shelves. Adding insult to injury the shaker is used
night or day, whenever a ship docks.
First Little League teams established for boys 9-13.
Mt Morris Dam built in Letchworth State Park to finally control the
seven-year cycle of floods by the Genesee River.
Northgate Plaza opens. Area's first shopping plaza.
James A. Hard dies at 111 in Rochester. Born in Victor, Hard was the
last surviving combat veteran of the Civil War, outliving all but one of
the 2,675,000 Union soilders. (The last survivor was a musician who enlisted
in the final weeks of the war.) Hard enlisted in the Union Army four days
after the attack on Ft. Sumner. As a private in the 32nd New York Infantry,
he fought in the Battles of Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,
South Mountain and Antietam. He is the oldest male buried in Mt Hope Cemetery.
Livingston Park Seminary house is dismantled, with each piece numbered
and placed in storage.
Auer Hotel on Ridge Road demolished for construction of Ridge-Seneca
Genesee Valley Regional Market opens on Jefferson Rd.
Sea Breeze Expressway built following the route of street cars and
the 'Dummy Line'
A student at Franklin High School, Trent Jackson, ties a world high
school record. He runs the 100 yard dash in 9.4 seconds, equaling the mark
set by Jessie Owens.
Midtown Plaza opens, America's first indoor shopping mall. Corinthian
Street is eliminated by the construction.
Mohawk Flight 112 crashes at Monroe County Airport in a violent wind
and rain storm, killing seven.
Race Riots stun city. There is violence on streets for two days and
190 foot stainless steel Liberty Pole is built on the site of the city's
first pole. The offical name of the triangular piece of land where the
pole is located is 'John F. Kennedy Square' or 'Liberty Pole Green'.
Hearing rumors that the old lighthouse is to be torn down, the editor
of the Charlotte High School newspaper, 'The Pilot' writes an editorial
urging the community to save the landmark. The community responded, and
the structure was saved. In 1974 the lighthouse was added to the National
Register of Historic Places. A second panic hit in 1981 when it was learned
that a half acre of the lighthouse parcel was to be sold to Conrail. After
another flood of letter writing and political maneuvering, the land and
buildings were leased to the village. Not entirely comfortable with this
situation work continued until Feb. 15, 1991 when title was transferred
from the Federal government to the County of Monroe.
November 11, Blackout shuts down northeast.
Blizzard of'66 leaves 34 inches of snow, and shuts down city for five
30 story Xerox Tower built.
Irondequoit Bay Bridge open.
City buys Rochester Transit Corporation.
Livingston Park Seminary house is removed from storage, re-assembled,
and restored at the Genesee Country Museum.
$835,300 is stolen from an Doyle armoured truck parked in front of
Kodak's Hawkeye Plant on Ridge Road. It is beleived that someone passing
by the unguarded truck with the open door impulsively grabbed a bag of
money. There were no suspects, and no arrests.
June, Huricane Agnes tests the Mt Morris Dam. Water levels raises to
4.2 feet from the top, creating a lake 215 feet deep, 15 miles long, and
containing more than 100 billion gallons of water
Barge Canal breaks out at Bushnell's Basin, destroys one home, damages
Statue of Mercury placed on top of the Aqueduct Building, returning
to Rochester's skyline. Erected in 1880, the statue had been on the chimney
of Kimball Tobacco Factory, until it was torn down to make room for the
B & O coal trestle dismantled.
Several cars and pedestrians drop from sight, when an abandoned subway
tunnel caves in downtown.
City Council changes the name of the Clarissa Street Bridge to the
Ford Street Bridge.
Arson blamed for Holiday Inn fire in Greece that kills 10 and injures
The Ginna Nuclear Power plant releases radioactive steam into the atmosphere
for two minutes.
The old Genesee Lighthouse is opened as a museum.
The wrought iron Driving Park Avenue Bridge was demolished, and the
current bridge built to replace it.